Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Beverly says The travel edition.

Running isn't getting very far. I got up Monday morning and did 3 miles but they were spent walking. Tuesday I maybe ran 1/2 mile and then walked 2 miles, wash rinse repeat for the rest of the week. The end. That is all I have to say about running.

Now. I was walking this morning wondering what in the world I could write about. Not running, not my job, duh, not my friends because they didn't sign up for this, and that doesn't leave much. One of my loves is traveling and as fate would have it I spent this week preparing to travel. I thought I would let you in on the craziness. I am leaving Friday night to go hop over the big pond to pretend to be Irish for 4 days. I am very fortunate to have an opportunity to go with some friends for a quick trip to Ireland. We leave at 7pm and land at 1am or about 6am their time. I hope I can fall asleep on the plane ride over. Because! Once I get there I am driving. eeekk! I am the only one who can drive a manual and automatic vehicles are rare therefore cost a premium to rent in Ireland. I drive a manual so that isn't a big deal. The big deal is the fact that I will be driving from the right side of the car on the left side of the road. I'm nervous. But I will report back on all of that when I return (whew, another post idea taken care of, check). No, no. Today I want to talk about how I travel.

I hate packing. I hate the commitment of packing. I will be stuck with the items I pack for days. I hate the inevitable mistakes I will make packing. I don't think I have ever said "boy I packed perfectly for that trip." True story, my Mom (hi Mama) packed for me the first time I went to Europe. I couldn't bare it. I manage projects for a living but managing the project of packing is a weakness. I do however have a little bit more figured out than I use to. I have some rituals when traveling and I will share them with you. I have these boots that are amazing. Thanks to two of my friends who both have a pair, I own these boots, Fat Baby by Ariat. One of the top 5 shoe purchases I have ever made. These puppies are rugged, have a great sole and go with most pants. Also, they are pretty good in the airport since they slip on and off pretty easily. I wear these on a regular basis in my daily commuting walk. Also, when I was in Greece I wore these every day, all day for 8 days without my feet ever getting tired much less a blister. I stepped on some pretty gross and dangerous things in Athens and these boots have a thick and flat sole that kept me safe. It is very important to me that I not look like a tourist so I shy away from sneakers. I figure I don't walk around in sneakers in my daily life, well except for that running thing. Oh and don't even get Julie started on how bad she thinks sneakers are for your feet. I just want to do my part and not promote the stereotypical American tourist. I want to be an interested and polite traveler so that I can represent the US on a positive note. But I digress. To go along with these boots I wear these socks. Whoa buddy these things are expensive. However, if you have ever hung out with me while I have blisters you would hand over the cash on my behalf. I have sensitive feet. I think that is a theme on this blog. So these double layered socks combined with the comfy boots equal a pleasant Beverly. I only have 2 pair. When traveling I wash the pair I wore that day at night before I go to bed and then alternate pairs allowing a day for the washed socks to dry. Also, this is good for light packing. Two pair of socks and that is it. I also pack a 3 oz bottle of laundry detergent. One last thing while we are on the subject of footwear. Mama gave me these one year for Christmas and I use them and love them. I wear them on the plane and in the hotel room because floors are gross. And they are very comfortable.

Okay, moving on. The bag. Essential. I wish I could be stylish and functional but I am afraid that I will always pick function over style. The prequesities are that the bag be large enough for camera, water, wallet, map, ipod, phone, keys, and maybe a pair of shoes. It has to have pockets on the outside. I have a dedicated pocket for my keys and train pass. I refuse to stand outside of the train gate digging around for my pass and can hear the train coming. Final requirement is waterproof. It rains. My favorite purse is fabric and when it rains all of my stuff gets wet, so when traveling and commuting I have to have waterproof to protect my essentials. I am currently using this bag that I paid way less for than on this site. I am not crazy about the color but I like the nylon, pockets, size, and adjustable strap. Next up, rain coat. Umbrellas are no good when traveling. Besides my larger and awesome umbrella for my commute (check it out if you need a good one), umbrellas tend to fail me. So a hood on a rain coat is all you need. I am sporting this one but in black.

Besides these items a couple of things that I always have: ipod & headphones, camera, bed bug spray (just in case), necessary papers, copies of cards & passport to keep in a separate place from my wallet, pen and paper to jot down notes, observations, and directions. I am hoping that I will get everything I need in my backpack and tote. My goal is to pack light. Who knows, maybe this time I proclaim "boy I packed perfectly for that trip."

1 comment:

  1. That was a fun post (even though I had heard most of it). It sounds like you are well prepared. Can't wait to hear about the trip.

    ReplyDelete