Monday, March 23, 2009

Beverly Says... The Why


So I went to Greece the 3rd week of March. Yeah, the trip was great, thanks for asking. Two points of interest for this story: first, the tour group learned about the origins of the marathon and why it is 26 miles and 385 yards (named after the fabled run of the Greek soldier Pheidippides, a messenger from the Battle of Marathon to Athens). I learned something new, cool. Second point, my group went to Delphi, location of the famed Oracle. So of course I thought I would ask the Oracle a question. (I was confused if I could ask more than one question and I am now confused if it is like a birthday wish, you shouldn't tell anyone your question.) Basically I asked the Oracle to show me what I can do next in life that would be good for me and others. Like a project. What can I focus my efforts on that isn't completely selfish. Fast forward to my return home where I check my email after a week of neglect. There is an email in my inbox from my sister suggesting an idea: we should run a half-marathon together! Ok, Oracle, I hear you. Julie sent that email approximately 24 hours after I asked my question. Weird. Fine, I will run a half marathon. It is good for me, good for my sister, and well, I will figure out how it benefits mankind in general. So here we are. We have almost 11 months to train for 13 miles, 192.5 yards. I will document my efforts here. I haven't figured out how to tackle this training but I think I will start with the Couch to 5K training program and try my hand at running a 5K this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment