Thursday, March 26, 2009

Julie Says... The Why

Oy. This is where I'm supposed to explain what possessed me to recommend running thirteen miles all at once... well, you know, one step at a time... all the way to thirteen miles. Surprisingly, I'm not that intimidated. Yes, I've basically sat in a recliner all day long for the past three years, but no, not all that intimidated. I'll start with the possession, er, inspiration. I read the post "Upcoming Marathons for Walkers" at FitSugar. You read that right. Walkers. As in walking. Perusing the list I saw Myrtle Beach Marathon, followed the link and one thing led to another... which led to an impulsive moment of asking my sister to do the half-marathon with me. Damn Oracle. A truer reason is that I'm disappointed and frustrated with myself at the moment. I've been needing to feel a sense of accomplishment. I thought that getting a graduate degree and starting a new career would do that, but noooo. The economy tanked and despite my education, I am far too inexperienced in this employers' market to find employment. I'm not very good with feeling out of control, and this is certainly a situation where I cannot figure out how to get control. I'm stuck sitting in a recliner reading job ads all day and setting myself up for rejection -- over and over and over and over and over (ad nauseuum) again. Add to that a rough year health-wise and an upcoming "0" birthday -- you get the picture. Doing this is my way of taking control. Here goes nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment