Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Julie Sings of Tiny Things Past

Once upon a time (far too long ago), a group of silly girls sang silly camp songs in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Many years later, one of the silly girls got a clover flower stuck between the toes of her Vibram FiveFingers. With an equally silly grin, she began to sing...

There is a daisy on my toe
It is not real
It does not grow
It's just a tiny little flower
To look at when I'm in the shower

It's on the second toe of my left foot
It has no stem
It has no root
Because... That wouldn't look good [spoken]
It's just a daisy on my toe
My right foot loves my left foot so (*smooch*smooch*)

{Scrreeeech} Welcome back.

A little digging on the web revealed that it's not "just a tiny little flower". It is instead *gasp* "a tattoo of a flower."

"That can't be," I think to myself. "It's just a kid's camp song."

A little more digging revealed that it's a Smothers Brothers song titled "The Tattoo Song." Well.

There is a midi of the tune here: http://webcatt.net/Midi/daisy_toe.html
(remember midis? ah... how times change). I tried finding the song on iTunes. I think this is the point where I have to say, "You know you're old if... " Yeaaaah, I guess no one really wants to pay for Smothers Brothers songs.

The song as I remember it is almost right. I learned the song at Camp Little Crossroads, a GA (Girls in Action) camp, so I suppose tattoos were considered too risque for miniature Christian girls. The camp has since changed its name to CrossRoads Camp and Conference Center. Also, in 1998, they initiated coed camps *gasp* (You know you're old if...).

Ah, remembrances. I am trying to enjoy these last few days at home... running barefoot in the grass... chasing cats... watching the garden bloom... watching TV with Mama... cooking dinner...

Times change. I'm content with where I'm going. I am hopeful that this next phase will be as enjoyable as the last.

For the record, running is out for the next few weeks. I'm still recovering from an unfortunate episode with a pair of high heels and not sure how long it will take me to find a safe place to run in my new location. In the meantime, I think I'll go back to concentrating on yoga. I think that will best for keeping me centered during this transition, and I could use the extra strengthening.

1 comment:

  1. In college I knew a girl with a tattoo of a daisy on her big toe because of that song. She was from Harrisonburg.

    ReplyDelete